Food storage tips
Knowing the right way to store foods definitely saves your foods from wasting .Here are a few ways to store common foods at home
- Rice – store rice in plastic containers rather than bags, you can put bayleaves /turmeric/ ginger in containers container rice to keep weevils away.
- Beans – Can be stored in a freezer (where there’s regular power supply); preferably in a plastic container to keep it dry.
- Blended Ogbono /egusi – Best stored in the fridge.
- Yams – should be stored away from light, in an airy place , should not be placed directly on the floor, you can place on a wooden slab.
- Potatoes – should be stored away from onions, in a cool airy place.
- Ijebu gari – To keep it dry and crunchy, store in a tightly covered nylon (ziploc) bag.
- Stockfish – can be stored in the fridge to keep insects away.
- Moi-moi leaves / ugwu leaves / ripe plantain – To increase shelf life, wrap in layers of newspaper and keep in fridge.
- Peppersoup spice / cameroon pepper/ dry red pepper – Best stored in plastic containers ; in a dry cool place, preferably in a fridge.
- Ginger – Put ginger in a ziploc bag, squeeze out air from bag, seal and place in the moist free compartment of the fridge.
- Garlic – Store in a dark,dry, well ventilated area away from from moisture and light, keep it out of the fridge, this usually makes it dry and unusable.
food storage tips